Sunday, August 12, 2007

Urban Mushrooms


























From Icon Magazine May issue, graffiti with an architectural edge:

"Czaplicki, also known as 'Truth', moved on from traditional graffiti materials after seven years of tagging. His first experiment with unconventional materials used white polystyrene, creating fungus-like shapes. 'I felt I was putting nature back into the city. I was very influenced by the forms of Donald Judd and Russian constructivists like Malevich, so in some ways my idea was to create a sculpture but change its context,' he says. 'I think of them as urban mushrooms. They look like a natural part of the city – sometimes I really can change a building, but in most cases they’re little signs.'"

These abstract forms have been applied to the facades of empty buildings, industrial estates, and homes predominantly in southern Poland. (images from www.truthtag.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home